I am a Vancouver-based consultant with a background in Education.
After the turmoil of youth, I discovered how the humanities can transform a life, in this case mine. I traveled the the world seeking people with a thirst for adventure and a hint of wonder. Fortunately, there are some good ones out there, many of them occupying this site.
I'm primarily interested now in issues of leadership and how people respond to changing environments. I consider Beams & Struts a long term project of inquiry and exchange.
Along the way, I met a good woman who could handle me and we had a son. I ‘got straight with the straight world’ as my father always urged I should. Having a child is literally raising consciousness. It demands the most of anyone who takes it seriously.
The final word(s). And only the words.
Like, really real.
Just Say Fuck.
...and left me found, full and feeling fantastic about things.
Opening to the intimacy of community, an interview with Miriam and Stephan Martineau of Next Step Integral.
Tribute to the best sort of industry man.
Looking out with fresh eyes on the light that already shines.
The poet recreating a world of imagination.
In what ways are you participating in transforming our social infrastructure?
The poet seeking the language of his day.
Samples of the sacred that permeates our efforts at Beams and Struts.
An introduction to the essence of the poet.
Songs from George Harrison that point to post-postmodern spirituality.
Excerpts from the essay Christianity and Totalitarianism
Howling Howl in love and madness.
In loving memory of an old friend who passed over the weekend.
Jack London reminds us of our vulnerability.
A little genius dies in the passing of Bert Jansch a few weeks ago.
- Agreed Mary and thanks for opening the space to clarify that one point. Of course this entire endeavour was filled… Written by Juma Wood Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Chela, your willingness to look unflinchingly inside, and then articulate that reality in the world, inspires and amazes me. I… Written by Karen Kristjanson I Heart Beams and Struts: A Eulogy
- Just wanted to say: Writing actually is a verb! And as Ishmael Reed said "Writin is Fightin." A good kind… Written by Mary W. Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Well that was honest! Great to read these various un-cloaked perspectives. It feels refreshing to see a take on an… Written by Sarah Olson Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Well, I'm sorry that Beams is wrapping up, but excited for all of you. You've done something amazing here, make… Written by Paul Duke Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Leah, I'm with you here- "Sometimes it takes a healthy dose of debate to decide what we need to do.… Written by Trevor Malkinson Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- It has been enlightening to follow along on your coattails, watching the ride from the sidelines. Everything you said is… Written by Leah Adams Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- This is beautiful Chela, it brought me to tears. Thank you for all your wonderful writing on Beams and Struts! Written by Chloe Dierkes I Heart Beams and Struts: A Eulogy