Scott Payne has been involved in politics and political activism in some fashion for the past decade ranging from work on poverty issues, increasing accessibility to education, increasing voter participation, and promoting energy efficiency and environmental issues. Currently, Scott is largely focused on defining embodying a more vibrant sense of citizenship and civic engagement in Calgary, Alberta.
In addition to his work with Beams and Struts, Scott is a fellow with the Canadian Council for Democracy, writing at the Council's site the Commons on Canadian politics and culture. Scott also writes about political issues at The League of Ordinary Gentlemen where he is a contributor and founding member.
You know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words. Well, this picture left me speechless this morning.
What if you sat down for your nightly does of news and current events and saw something like this. Think you'd tune in more often?
A look at the use of crescendos in music and what they might just do for us spiritually.
Why continuing to clean up some of your less than inclusive childhood slang is about more than just political correctness.
On August 22, 2011, Canada was gripped by the death of federal political leader Jack Layton. What does the message Layton left us mean one year later?
A look at the latest viral internet video and how it manages to upend some of the dominant myths of modern life.
What does Stephen Hawking have to say about alien life?
Ever wonder why your fingers and toes "wrinkle" after being in water for a while? Here's an answer that is more intellectually satisfying than, "Just 'cuz."
Why are most political advertisements so bad and what makes for a great one?
What is social swarming and how is it effecting our world?
Think the effects of climate change are something we'll feel in the future?
When was the last time you sat and just watched clouds float by?
Here are some of Beams and Struts favourite picks for Undead songs.
A good ending can make or break a work of art. Here are four that blew my mind.
What story does the new Obama campaign video and slogan, "Forward", tell the country?
Can something as simple and cliched as hope transform our politics, and thereby our world?
Think that the only worthwhile thing that George Lucas ever gave us was Star Wars? Think again.
What if the financial sector was a democratic space. Would we have had the sort of melt down that occurred in 2008?
What does the coming battle over the latest piece of US legislation to police the internet, CISPA, tell us about the SOPA victory?
- Agreed Mary and thanks for opening the space to clarify that one point. Of course this entire endeavour was filled… Written by Juma Wood Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Chela, your willingness to look unflinchingly inside, and then articulate that reality in the world, inspires and amazes me. I… Written by Karen Kristjanson I Heart Beams and Struts: A Eulogy
- Just wanted to say: Writing actually is a verb! And as Ishmael Reed said "Writin is Fightin." A good kind… Written by Mary W. Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Well that was honest! Great to read these various un-cloaked perspectives. It feels refreshing to see a take on an… Written by Sarah Olson Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Well, I'm sorry that Beams is wrapping up, but excited for all of you. You've done something amazing here, make… Written by Paul Duke Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Leah, I'm with you here- "Sometimes it takes a healthy dose of debate to decide what we need to do.… Written by Trevor Malkinson Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- It has been enlightening to follow along on your coattails, watching the ride from the sidelines. Everything you said is… Written by Leah Adams Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- This is beautiful Chela, it brought me to tears. Thank you for all your wonderful writing on Beams and Struts! Written by Chloe Dierkes I Heart Beams and Struts: A Eulogy