Bergen Vermette has lived internationally for most of the last 10 years. He has worked with community development projects on 3 continents, and currently leads programs for Canadian youth on international issues and global citizenship. At present he's completing a much dragged-out undergraduate degree in International Studies.
Bergen's major areas of writing interest for Beams and Struts are global issues, (evolutionary) spirituality, and popular culture. He's a meditator, a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu competitor, and enjoys traveling by motorbike.
Where does real wisdom come from? And what does it have to say about bullying?
This week our mini-theme is superheros. These guys take it to the next level..
The Museum is Flat. It has no context.
A page from The Lost Lore of a Man's Life
It's time for another Theme Week at Beams. Welcome to Undead Week.
Zombie culture in Haiti with Vice Magazine.
Head cheese comes from heads.
Who is Joseph Kony?
Is fighting for savages or sages?
Surf, sand, and... oil tankers?
Animal looks within while Gonzo offers his 'stay at home enlightenment course'
A response to the Factory Farmer
A response to the Last Poultry Farmer
If the sixties were about rock 'n roll, are our times about hip hop?
An interview with Michael Richardson-Borne, founder of The Renaissance Project. We take a look at his new integral platform for micro-documentaries on leading-edge art, technology, music and culture from around the globe. Booya!
Monks have always pushed the boundaries of intense practice. I'm no monk, but a meditation marathon is one hell of a practice.
Beams journalism, uncovering the secrets of our time.
Don't ask who should rule the world. It's development, stupid
If women ruled the world there'd be no more wars. Just kidding.
- Agreed Mary and thanks for opening the space to clarify that one point. Of course this entire endeavour was filled… Written by Juma Wood Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Chela, your willingness to look unflinchingly inside, and then articulate that reality in the world, inspires and amazes me. I… Written by Karen Kristjanson I Heart Beams and Struts: A Eulogy
- Just wanted to say: Writing actually is a verb! And as Ishmael Reed said "Writin is Fightin." A good kind… Written by Mary W. Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Well that was honest! Great to read these various un-cloaked perspectives. It feels refreshing to see a take on an… Written by Sarah Olson Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Well, I'm sorry that Beams is wrapping up, but excited for all of you. You've done something amazing here, make… Written by Paul Duke Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Leah, I'm with you here- "Sometimes it takes a healthy dose of debate to decide what we need to do.… Written by Trevor Malkinson Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- It has been enlightening to follow along on your coattails, watching the ride from the sidelines. Everything you said is… Written by Leah Adams Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- This is beautiful Chela, it brought me to tears. Thank you for all your wonderful writing on Beams and Struts! Written by Chloe Dierkes I Heart Beams and Struts: A Eulogy
Last 10 tweets from beamsandstruts:
People talking about '@beamsandstruts':