Bruce grew up in Winnipeg and spent his teens and early twenties as a jock. He graduated from the University of Winnipeg without, as far as he can remember, having read a book. Except one, by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi on Transcendental Meditation. This woke him up to vocation that transcended, (yet included – of course), the dream of dunking the b-ball and playing professional tennis. TM gave way to born again Christianity, to liberal Christianity, to the total loss of conviction (they are connected), to evolutionary Christian mysticism and the blessed return of something beyond/within context and perspective. He spends most of his time trying to figure out how to put the breaks on the evolutionary impulse.
Bruce has been an ordained minister in the United Church of Canada for 25 years (currently at CMUC in Vancouver) and is a clinical member of the American Association of Marriage and Family therapy. He’s Ann’s husband (24 years and counting), a father to Sarah, an actress and musician in LA, grandfather to four, and author of four books — www.ifdarwinprayed.com.
A personal story of the clash between spiritual dreams and lived reality.
One congregations expression of an evolving Christian faith.
A look at Jason Bourne as a metaphor for the contepmorary male condition.
WWBBD? What Would Billy Beane Do? An examination of lessons in leadership from baseball.
We know about the power of now, but what about the power of the future?
Guest writer Bruce Sanguin explores how Lucinda Williams' music incites the impulse to evolve and live with passion.
For Sacred Sundays today we have a poem about evolution's dance.
What happens when we realize that Jesus is kin with starfields, our solar system, the Earth’s biosystems and all creatures — how will that impact our mission to repair the Earth?
- Agreed Mary and thanks for opening the space to clarify that one point. Of course this entire endeavour was filled… Written by Juma Wood Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Chela, your willingness to look unflinchingly inside, and then articulate that reality in the world, inspires and amazes me. I… Written by Karen Kristjanson I Heart Beams and Struts: A Eulogy
- Just wanted to say: Writing actually is a verb! And as Ishmael Reed said "Writin is Fightin." A good kind… Written by Mary W. Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Well that was honest! Great to read these various un-cloaked perspectives. It feels refreshing to see a take on an… Written by Sarah Olson Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Well, I'm sorry that Beams is wrapping up, but excited for all of you. You've done something amazing here, make… Written by Paul Duke Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- Leah, I'm with you here- "Sometimes it takes a healthy dose of debate to decide what we need to do.… Written by Trevor Malkinson Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- It has been enlightening to follow along on your coattails, watching the ride from the sidelines. Everything you said is… Written by Leah Adams Sayonara Muthafuckas: 8 Perspectives on the End of Beams & Struts
- This is beautiful Chela, it brought me to tears. Thank you for all your wonderful writing on Beams and Struts! Written by Chloe Dierkes I Heart Beams and Struts: A Eulogy
Last 10 tweets from beamsandstruts:
People talking about '@beamsandstruts':