Scott Payne has been involved in politics and political activism in some fashion for the past decade ranging from work on poverty issues, increasing accessibility to education, increasing voter participation, and promoting energy efficiency and environmental issues. Currently, Scott is largely focused on defining embodying a more vibrant sense of citizenship and civic engagement in Calgary, Alberta.
In addition to his work with Beams and Struts, Scott is a fellow with the Canadian Council for Democracy, writing at the Council's site the Commons on Canadian politics and culture. Scott also writes about political issues at The League of Ordinary Gentlemen where he is a contributor and founding member.
You know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words. Well, this picture left me speechless this morning.
What if you sat down for your nightly does of news and current events and saw something like this. Think you'd tune in more often?
A look at the use of crescendos in music and what they might just do for us spiritually.
Why continuing to clean up some of your less than inclusive childhood slang is about more than just political correctness.
On August 22, 2011, Canada was gripped by the death of federal political leader Jack Layton. What does the message Layton left us mean one year later?
A look at the latest viral internet video and how it manages to upend some of the dominant myths of modern life.
What does Stephen Hawking have to say about alien life?
Ever wonder why your fingers and toes "wrinkle" after being in water for a while? Here's an answer that is more intellectually satisfying than, "Just 'cuz."
Why are most political advertisements so bad and what makes for a great one?
What is social swarming and how is it effecting our world?
Think the effects of climate change are something we'll feel in the future?
When was the last time you sat and just watched clouds float by?
Here are some of Beams and Struts favourite picks for Undead songs.
A good ending can make or break a work of art. Here are four that blew my mind.
What story does the new Obama campaign video and slogan, "Forward", tell the country?
Can something as simple and cliched as hope transform our politics, and thereby our world?
Think that the only worthwhile thing that George Lucas ever gave us was Star Wars? Think again.
What if the financial sector was a democratic space. Would we have had the sort of melt down that occurred in 2008?
What does the coming battle over the latest piece of US legislation to police the internet, CISPA, tell us about the SOPA victory?
- Hello, I just want to say how much I have enjoyed Beams and Struts. It is quite erudite, what Al… Written by Linda Littrell The Last Beams and Struts Saturday Night Jukebox
- Thanks Ishita. These songs are stretching it, for sure. That might have been the point. If one of these artists… Written by TJ Dawe SNJ: What Do Women Think of These Seemingly Anti-Woman Songs (by Women)?
- A very well written article. And as for, "Are issues like sexual subjugation and domestic violence too touchy to be… Written by Ishita SNJ: What Do Women Think of These Seemingly Anti-Woman Songs (by Women)?
- Leslie - thanks so much for being there. Very glad the show reached you the way it did. Written by TJ Dawe Gabor Mate Answers Questions About Ayahuasca
- T. Collins - exactly. A near death experience isn't necessary for these realizations, but it'll probably accelerate it. But meditation,… Written by TJ Dawe The 10 Changes in People Who've Had Near Death Experiences
- Colette - thanks for these comments. Your observations about animals picking up our emotional energies is very consistent with some… Written by TJ Dawe Scientific Research into Telepathy
- Thanks you TJ for such an amazing life changing event, I've been paying it forward ever since :) Written by Leslie Hodson Gabor Mate Answers Questions About Ayahuasca
- Telepathy between humans is real and more prevalent than people recognize. I practice it professionally to help people, especially those… Written by Colette St.Clair Scientific Research into Telepathy