Scott Payne has been involved in politics and political activism in some fashion for the past decade ranging from work on poverty issues, increasing accessibility to education, increasing voter participation, and promoting energy efficiency and environmental issues. Currently, Scott is largely focused on defining embodying a more vibrant sense of citizenship and civic engagement in Calgary, Alberta.
In addition to his work with Beams and Struts, Scott is a fellow with the Canadian Council for Democracy, writing at the Council's site the Commons on Canadian politics and culture. Scott also writes about political issues at The League of Ordinary Gentlemen where he is a contributor and founding member.
You know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words. Well, this picture left me speechless this morning.
What if you sat down for your nightly does of news and current events and saw something like this. Think you'd tune in more often?
A look at the use of crescendos in music and what they might just do for us spiritually.
Why continuing to clean up some of your less than inclusive childhood slang is about more than just political correctness.
On August 22, 2011, Canada was gripped by the death of federal political leader Jack Layton. What does the message Layton left us mean one year later?
A look at the latest viral internet video and how it manages to upend some of the dominant myths of modern life.
What does Stephen Hawking have to say about alien life?
Ever wonder why your fingers and toes "wrinkle" after being in water for a while? Here's an answer that is more intellectually satisfying than, "Just 'cuz."
Why are most political advertisements so bad and what makes for a great one?
What is social swarming and how is it effecting our world?
Think the effects of climate change are something we'll feel in the future?
When was the last time you sat and just watched clouds float by?
Here are some of Beams and Struts favourite picks for Undead songs.
A good ending can make or break a work of art. Here are four that blew my mind.
What story does the new Obama campaign video and slogan, "Forward", tell the country?
Can something as simple and cliched as hope transform our politics, and thereby our world?
Think that the only worthwhile thing that George Lucas ever gave us was Star Wars? Think again.
What if the financial sector was a democratic space. Would we have had the sort of melt down that occurred in 2008?
What does the coming battle over the latest piece of US legislation to police the internet, CISPA, tell us about the SOPA victory?
- Here's an interesting interview on this topic with Gabor Mate called "Capitalism Makes Us Crazy". "Humans have always used drugs,… Written by Trevor Malkinson Darrin Drda Part IV- Global Addiction and the Road to Recovery
- This interview has resonated with me deeply. I am an artist and it deepens my realization of where my creativity… Written by Denny Thomas Hübl: Shadow Work in Evolutionary Spirituality
- David, I love this idea of the "crazy quilt" "the idea that Transition Initiatives behave like a "Crazy Quilt" -… Written by Trevor Malkinson Darrin Drda Part III- The 3 Afflictions and Their Antidotes
- David, thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I really appreciate you translating some of the core tenents/philosophies of the transition movement… Written by Trevor Malkinson Darrin Drda Part I- Peril and Promise
- I enjoyed the discussion in the podcast of Joanna Macy's three sources of transformation: holding actions, structural transformations, shifts in… Written by David MacLeod Darrin Drda Part III- The 3 Afflictions and Their Antidotes
- "The only myth that is going to be worth talking about in the immediate future is one that is talking… Written by David MacLeod Darrin Drda Part II- Planetary Initiation and Participatory Reality
- Thank you Chris and Trevor for sharing this podcast. "The Promise and the Peril" This is a great framing, and… Written by David MacLeod Darrin Drda Part I- Peril and Promise
- Chris, Your article/interview with Thomas was wonderful. He visited One Spirit last fall asnd since then a few of us… Written by Lynne Feldman Thomas Hübl: Shadow Work in Evolutionary Spirituality